A 🧵 on COVID Living Room Spread:
- Older, out of the house brother wants to visit younger siblings.
Mom says "get a test on the way, if you are negative you can come."
- Rapid test is (-), family spends a day together inside, laughing, playing, eating.
- Older brother leaves, his cough starts.
- Mom sees her elderly parents in her home, unmasked for dinner and hanging out.
- They are in the same "bubble" and have seen each other regularly in the pandemic.
- Children's nanny comes to work.
- Mom goes to work, spends time unmasked with close work colleagues.
- Older brother tests, 20 yo white male, COVID (+).
-Mom begins to track family contacts, and starts to develop symptoms.
- Mom tests COVID +
- 2 children, 6 office mates, 2 elderly parents and a nanny begin quarantine, all initially testing negative.
-Nanny decides to quarantine with the family to isolate from her own children at home.
- Mom symptoms get worse, everyone else locks down.
- Nanny, a 60+ yo Black woman, tests COVID (+), develops mild symptoms
- Mom is improving
- Nanny is not feeling well
- 1 office mate, a 70+ yo white woman tests COVID (+) with mild symptoms.
- Office mate's daughter arranges for antibody infusion due to risk factors on day 2 of symptoms.
- 3 yo daughter tests COVID (+), mild symptoms.
- Older brother (patient zero) feels well.
- Mom has relapsing symptoms.
-Nanny is feeling okay.
- Office mate feels better after antibodies.
-Elderly parents, youngest child, other office mates continue to quarantine and continue to test (-).
- All patients improve EXCEPT the Nanny.
- She continues to get worse and has no primary care doctor.
- Nanny is Day 8 of symptoms and worsening, time for her to get antibodies.
- There is no central system for her to find out how to get them.
- Mom, now better, starts making calls as her advocate.
- Nanny, Day 9 of symptoms, gets worked up for synthetic antibodies.
-Nanny gets first antibody infusion.
- Nanny is weak and her oxygen is low. She goes to the hospital and is admitted.
This started with a 20 yo healthy white male testing (-) to see his family.
Infected 3 "family" members land in the lungs of a 60+ yo Black woman who is now hospitalized on oxygen and steroids.
This is living room spread.
And it has to stop.
Clarification: This is a family I know socially, not professionally and they gave permission to share their story in an attempt to "tell everyone to be smarter than we were."
And I am grateful they did.